Thursday, June 18, 2009

Fresh Bread, Old Wine


Having no bread in the house and a hungry ditch digger to feed, I made a loaf of whole wheat bread and maybe it was the new jar of yeast or the new bag of flour, but it rose better than ever. The wine is a Malbec, from Argentina, and we carried it with us across the Andes and for a month while traveling in Chile two and a half years ago. I thought it would be ruined from all the bouncing around and improper storage so last night I opened it to add some flavor to a braised chicken and sausage dish. Amazingly, the wine was excellent!

Today we brought in a yard of topsoil, reinforcements for my death to grass campaign. In the area by the woods, the true enemy is bindweed. It's growing almost a foot a night and it's everywhere, twisting and wrapping and strangling whatever it can sneak up on. I wonder if it's resistant to napalm . . .

2 comments:

  1. Hey - love reading your blogs. In my world I am fighting a 23 year old mistake (no, not Zach) - I planted a little stand of bamboo 23 years ago thinking our land was big enough and it would never be a problem. Well, I was wrong. I think I will have to hire a back hoe next spring to "remodel" the yard. I want to get rid of grass anyway but this big grass is a real pain. It's trying to take over the whole side yard. I'm mentally kicking myself for not listening to friends but then how would I ever know they were right (23 years ago) when I put it in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I blogged about invasive species a day or so ago and bindweed has reared it's little white flowers over on the new land. The one box of soil that was contaminated has rampant bindweed, and really, all I can do it keep it from escaping. That will be a different blog on the garden site.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails