Saturday, November 22, 2008

Unfinished Painting and Pre-holiday Musings


Two hours of sifting and sorting through notes from previous Thanksgivings, making shopping lists and detailing those items that must be transported from the Seattle house (having breakfast at the same time), then looking for the cranberry relish recipe that used to be on the cranberry bag and researching the perfect method for roasting the turkey -- whew!  I just want to get back to my paintings now.  The painting is going well, especially the last thing I did last night -- loosely brushing in the beginnings of trees against a luminous background.  This sort of effect tends to get lost as the painting gets finished.  This time will be different! (I hope.)  
Now, if I can just tear myself away from this comfy couch with the view of birds on the suet, hummingbirds at their feeder and the soft light on the Sound, I might get some work done before it's time to get ready for my 2 o'clock shift at the gallery.  Oh, today the Dish Network is sending out a repair man.  We have "drift" and no TV since Thursday night.  We miss trouble free cable TV.  Comcast is getting closer but hasn't reached our road yet.  This is a very slight and really inconsequential flaw in "country living" and the only one I can think of so far.  Even heating with a wood stove, lots of work, is satisfying.  Yesterday we went up in the woods and sawed up parts of a big tree, maybe a wild cherry, that had been down maybe since last year. We hauled out four wheelbarrow loads of fire wood.  It really was enjoyable working in the woods in the fresh air.

2 comments:

  1. Im so happy that you are enjoying country living. I miss it occasionally in my big city life but this apartment is so private and the yard and balcony so natural that Im very lucky. The paintings do look lovely in the beginning. How to keep that freshness alive?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hej Jules...I have to say that after 25 years of wood heat, I don't exactly miss it, but I do know what you mean about gathering wood in the forest. very satisfying. I still gather kindling in my yard and it takes me right back to Morgan Valley.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails