Sunday, December 14, 2008

Name Change

I just changed from my "real name" to "Julz of the World" because something triggered a happy memory of when as a kid I had a great job at the Seattle World's Fair giving coffee breaks to all the salespeople at Jewels of the World. There were dozens of them and each person sold costume jewelry from a different country. They were always happy to see me since it was their only chance to have a smoke or take a pee. The boss was a rough-mannered Puerto Rican Jew who told me he learned English watching movies over and over. Off at one end of the store paying customers could fish for a pearl in an oyster from a shallow pool tended by Japanese girls in traditional kimonos and one dude dressed in Japanese garb, but he was Korean. When we became friends, he told me about the historical animosity between the Koreans and the Japanese and that he didn't like having to associate with these girls, but, a job was a job. He was a very cool guy and if anyone knows Dong Yul Lee, the very good looking one who had been in the Korean air force before leaving for the US, tell him hi for me.

The name change (the "World" part) forces me to look at why I never want to go anyplace anymore, not even to Canada for New Year's, after a life-time of travel plans, adventures and yearnings for more. Is this the first stage of that phobia that keeps people virtual prisoners in their own homes?

4 comments:

  1. Hi Julz of the World. There must be one other place in the world that you would like to visit. Hmmmm... Ive seen it all too but still have Giverny outside Paris on my list. Im getting so I hate to go outside our gate. Living in the garden of Eden has that affect on a person. I keep thinking this is the perfect time and place to do art. Creating. You are doing it. Nothing to be afraid of...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zan, I would like to see lots more of the world but it's the getting there that doesn't appeal to me at all. Today the sun is sparkling on the crust of frozen snow on the deck and pouring in through the windows. Three freshly toned canvases are drying on the dining room table, ready for some winter scenes from photos I took yesterday higher up and inland, where more snow had fallen. Who's got time to go anywhere?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The "getting there" is all part of the journey. Just like the toned canvas is just as important to enjoy as the finished painting. But I know what you mean. The packing and moving stuff is complicated. It is nice to have two houses like you do as it gets the travel urge satisfied.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Zanelle is the Anonymous poster as I couldnt get my password correct.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails