Tuesday, December 23, 2008

A Visit to my Ancestors


I was feeling out of sorts today but my neighbor pal came by and off we tromped over ice and snow up to the cemetery at the top of the hill. The beauty and stillness were awesome. We found my grandparents' grave and brushed off the snow so the inscription on the stone was visible. Then we went to Macrina for coffee. No more blues!



Tonight I made a batch of bourbon balls to give out tomorrow at the Christmas eve gathering (if it doesn't snow too much tonight). This amount of snow and the way it is sticking around so long is mind-boggling for this Seattle native. Oh, btw, we came back to Seattle just as the first flakes of the big snow were falling, so David could go to the Messiah at Town Hall on Saturday night. I'm actually glad to be back in the bigger house for a while and it's fun to be around family and friends again. We had an impromptu gathering the other night because our niece and one of our nephews were crashing here on their way back home for Christmas, so we ended up with eight around the table for lamb and white bean soup and lots of wine and laughter. "Ratsie" even joined us for fruit and cheese after soup and salad. (Our niece arrived with three chickens and a pet rat.) I'm sorry I didn't get a picture of the rat. It was really cute, like the star of Ratatouille.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails