Saturday, February 21, 2009

The Orcas are Back!


Two days in a row now a pod of orcas has cruised by -- first heading south then yesterday heading back north. We think they didn't find enough salmon to eat down south so are heading for Hood Canal where they can feast on seals. They were traveling fast, breaking the surface with loud slaps. One in particular had a very tall fin that reflected bright red late afternoon sunlight. My little camera failed to capture any interesting images so I copied this one from Google images.

3 comments:

  1. Wow! I like the image of the red light reflected off the fin of one of the Orca. We get them all the time up in Alaska. Im so glad you have a place out in nature. I miss that even tho our apartment here in the big city is in a very beautiful Eucalyptus grove. Zanelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes...I was going to cry seeing that photo...if it were yours...my poor woodducks suffer by comparison. But still I am jealous that you get to see them cruising by your place...how exciting. Don't you just love life?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw pictures of the Orcas on the News and it was truly amazing! It's so comforting to know they are still here. I hope they find enough food and still know their way north. You're so lucky to have seen them in real life from your own front pordch!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails